last friday when zach had the afternoon off, he and zelda did an experiment together. it’s pretty simply, but each step is a lot of fun and the result is colorful and messy. first, they layered into a pan some baking soda. then they sprinkled it with citric acid. on top of that they added kool aid and jello powder to make a colorful design. and lastly they added water to watch it foam and fizz.the results were fun to see and play in.after the first round we did it again, but got a bit smarter and put zelda in a smock.zelda figured out somewhere along the way that the colored powder tasted good, but learned that the final mixture wasn’t so tasty.zelda really seems to enjoy doing experiments and they hold her attention. we’ll have to find another one to do with her again soon.
i’ve been trying to add in some new activities for zelda to try after she comes home from school in the afternoons. we’ve done two “experiments.” we call them experiments because something unexpected should happen. the first one we tried was dyeing daisies in colored water. this was the perfect starter experiment for us since we were able to go and cut wild daisies and had everything already on hand. this experiment was a great success even though the results were so so. when she told her daddy about it that night she was so excited and said “i did it all by myself.”the second experiment was using sharpie markers to dye fabric. again another successful experiment in that it held zelda’s attention and she enjoyed the process and was proud of the final product, even though the colors didn’t bleed as much as i thought they might. i think i’ll sew her piece of dyed fabric into a scarf for her to wear.daddy’s got a good one ready to go for tomorrow morning while i’m tethered to the computer for class. check back next week to see how that experiment went.